“Instead of saying, “I’m damaged, I’m broken, I have trust issues” say “I’m healing, I’m rediscovering myself, I’m starting over.” (Horacio Jones)
There is no experience on earth like going through the trials and tribulations of spiritual, emotional and/or physical abuse at the hands of a narcissist or sociopath, but you went through it and survived. Outstanding!
During your journey to recovery, you will have setbacks and it could feel at times that you haven’t made any progress. You may <struggle to overcome the effects of cognitive dissonance, fear, obligation and guilt, as well as the traumatic effects of the abuse on your mind, body and spirit, but don’t be deterred for this will not last.
Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together. (Unknown)
Don’t beat yourself up because you did nothing wrong; don’t waste your time and energy seeking revenge on the abuser because they are nothing but hate and envy. Understand that not everyone deserves to be in your life, and love yourself like no one ever can.
No matter how difficult your days get, never give up. You might not be able to see it now, but your determination to not only survive but to also thrive will result in an unprecedented transformation in body, mind and spirit that will make you healthier and more successful than you could ever imagine, and it is this success that will be your retribution.
Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise. (Frank Ocean)
It is your right to be free from abuse, and, try as they may, no one can take away the power within you. Yes, you’re not perfect and you will almost certainly make mistakes on your journey to recovery, but there is little doubt that your will is stronger than your abuser’s attempts to extinguish you.
It’s time to exhale all the bullshit you inadvertently took in. And for those especially difficult days when you could hardly get out of bed, remember that “If you can’t be thankful for what you have, be thankful for what you have escaped.” (John Wayne).
Don’t underestimate the power of gratitude in the healing process. It is miraculous.
Here are 50 insightful quotes that will inspire narcissistic abuse survivor like yourself to never give up on your journey to healing when stricken by emotional flashbacks, triggers or even cravings to reconnect with your abuser.
1. “I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me.” ― Joshua Graham
2. “I don’t think people realize how much strength it takes to pull your own self out of a poisonous situation with someone you love deeply. So if you’ve done that today or any day, I’m proud of you.” ― Horacio Jones
3. “From every wound there is a scar, and every scar tells a story. A story that says, I survived.” ― Fr. Craig Scott
4. “I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” ― G. G. Jung
5. “Some People Come Into Your Life Just To Teach You How To Let Go” ― Unknown
6. “You survived the abuse. You’re going to survive the recovery.” ― Mariska Hargitay
7. “Without rain nothing grows, learn to embrace the storms of your life.” ― Expanded Consciousness
8. “One’s dignity may be assaulted and vandalized, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.” ― Michael J. Fox
9. “If you lose someone but find yourself, you won.” ― Unknown
10. “Don’t let someone who did you wrong make you think there’s something wrong with you. Don’t devalue yourself because they didn’t value you. Know your worth even if they don’t.” ― Trent Shelton
11. “I am strong because I’ve been weak. I am fearless because I’ve been afraid. I am wise because I’ve been foolish.” ― Unknown
12. “A strong person is not the one who doesn’t cry. A strong person is the one who cries and sheds tears for a moment, then gets up and fights again.” ― Unknown
13. “Don’t judge yourself by what others did to you.” ― C. Kennedy, Ómorphi
14. “Standing alone is better than standing with people who hurt you.” ― Unknown
15. “You can recognize survivors of abuse by their courage. When silence is so very inviting, they step forward and share their truth so others know they aren’t alone.” ― Jeanne McElvaney
16. “Survivors of abuse show us the strength of their personal spirit every time they smile.” ― Jeanne McElvaney
17. “It’s better to break your own heart by leaving, rather than having that person break your heart every day you’re with them.” ― Beverly Engel
18. “As you recover, you will discover that many of the so-called truths you were raised with and forced to believe are not truths at all.” ― Unknown
19. “Pain expanded my heart.” ― Terese Marie Mailhot.
20. “We aren’t the weeds in the crack of life. We’re the strong, amazing flowers that found a way to grow in the most challenging conditions.” ― Jeanne McElvaney
21. “Overcoming abuse doesn’t just happen, it takes positive steps everyday. Let today be the day you start to move forward.” ― Assunta Harris
22. “My story can unchain someone else’s prison.”― Patricia Dsouza
23. “Often feelings of shame, powerlessness, and self-hate are bottled up with the memories, and as the memories come through, these feelings do, too. Yet healing isn’t just about pain. It’s about learning to love yourself.” ― Laura Davis,
24. “I have the power to change my physical and emotional experience.” ― Patricia Dsouza
25. “The only people who get upset about you setting boundaries are the once who were benefiting from you having none.” ― Unknown
26. “Trauma is personal. It does not disappear if it is not validated. When someone enters the pain and hears the screams, healing can begin.” ― Danielle Bernock
27. “Refuse to inherit dysfunction. Learn new ways of living instead of repeating what you lived through.” ― Thema Davis
28. “Bemoaning my existence wasn’t changing my existence.” ― Carolyn Spring
29. “There is no one way to recover and heal from any trauma. Each survivor chooses their own path or stumbles across it.” ― Laurie Matthew
30. “When people treat you like they don’t care, believe them.” ― Unknown
31. “When you accept things as they are, you allow yourself to make choices that will help create the change you seek” ― Patricia Dsouza
32. “We don’t go back to wallow, we go back to undo the lies that are back there that are holding its captive from living a wondrous and full life.” ― Darlene Ouimet
33. “A learning curve isn’t a perfect arc.” ― C. Kennedy, Ómorphi
34. “Everyone heals in their own time and in their own way. The path isn’t always a straight line, and you don’t need to go it alone.” ― Zeke Thomas
35. “We all get knock down in life. Encouragement lifted our spirit.” ― Lailah Gifty Akit
36. “Overcoming abuse doesn’t just happen, It takes positive steps everyday. Let today be the day you start to move forward.” ― Assunta Harris
37. “Don’t try to be brave all at once. Take it in steps.” ― C. Kennedy
38. “Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can never hurt you… unless you believe them.” ― Charles F. Glassman
39. “The only person that deserves a special place in your life is someone that never made you feel like you were an option in theirs.” ― Shannon L. Alder
40. “Don’t light yourself on fire trying to brighten someone else’s existence.” ― Charlotte Eriksson
41. “I am slowly learning that some people are not good for me, no matter how much I love them.” ― Michelle K
42. “You have escaped the cage. Your wings are stretched out. Now fly.” ― Rumi
43. “I am so much more than you told me I was.” ― Unknown
44. “I’m a survivor. And I say this with so much pride I could burst into a million tiny pieces at your feet.” ― Trish Kaye Lleone
45. “Each relationship nurtures a strength or weakness within you.” ― Michael Murdoch
46. “Don’t compare your life to others. There’s no comparison between the sun and the moon. They shine when it’s their time.” ― Unknown
47. “Forget it enough to get over it, remember it enough so it doesn’t happen again.” ― Unknown
48. “The trick is to enjoy life. Don’t wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead.” ― Marjorie Pay Hinckley
49. “Love yourself as much as you want to be loved by others.” ― Nino Varsimashvili
50. “If you walked away from a toxic, negative, abusive, one-sided, dead-end low vibrational relationship or friendship, you won.” ― Lalah Delia
What advice do you have for those recovering from narcissistic abuse? Also, feel free to share some of your favorite quotes on abuse in the comments below, and make sure to check out our other collections of insightful quotes.