You have a lot more to be grateful for than you think, unimaginably more.
Gratitude is the first and most basic level of appreciation, and being grateful is fundamental to living a fulfilling life.
Each of us has our definition of what gratitude is, and we vary in how much we experience and focus on it in our daily lives. However, it is fundamentally defined as the quality of being thankful and a readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
Gratitude is an emotion, an attitude and a state of being. It is the genuine sense of thankfulness and appreciation that we have for someone or something, as well as for life in general.
Having an attitude of gratitude — that is, choosing to look for the good things in others, and finding things we appreciate and are grateful for — is fundamental to our ability to focus on the good stuff and live a life of genuine appreciation and fulfillment.
When we focus on what we’re grateful for, we alter not only our perspective, but also our state of being. It’s almost impossible to feel grateful and victimized at the same time, and being and feeling grateful is actually a great way of transforming our negativity, snap us out of a bad mood, get us back on track, and keep us moving forward.
Gratitude is a choice, so choose to be grateful. Make it a goal to understand it deeply and be very intentional in your practice of it.
Here are 50 gratitude quotes to inspire and motivate you into seeing and accepting the abundance and positives in your blessed life.
1. “When I started counted my blessings, my whole life turned around.” – Willie Nelson
2. “Gratitude is an antidote to negative emotions, a neutralizer of envy, hostility, worry, and irritation. It is savoring; it is not taking things for granted; it is present-oriented.” – Sonja Lyubomirsky
3. “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” ― Melody Beattie
4. “Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.” – Henry Ward Beecher
5. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” – Gilbert C. Chesterton
6. “Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie
7. “Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
8. “Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty.” – Doris Day
9. “Happiness cannot be traveled to owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
10. “Joy is the simplest form of gratitude.” – Karl Barth
11. “No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.” – Alfred North Whitehead
12. “In ordinary life, we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
13. “Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind.” – Lionel Hampton
14. “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all others.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
15. “Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” —Charles Dickens
16. “Gratitude for the present moment and the fullness of life now is the true prosperity.” – Eckhart Tolle
17. “Gratitude is the healthiest of all human emotions. The more you express gratitude for what you have, the more likely you will have even more to express gratitude for.” — Zig Ziglar
18. “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” – Cynthia Ozick
19. “Gratitude will shift you to a higher frequency, and you will attract much better things.” – Rhonda Byrne
20. “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.” – Buddha
21. “Two kinds of gratitude: The sudden kind we feel for what we take; the larger kind we feel for what we give.” – Edwin Arlington Robinson
22. “Gratitude is the sweetest thing in a seekers life – in all human life. If there is gratitude in your heart, then there will be tremendous sweetness in your eyes.” Sri Chinmoy
23. “Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.” – Aesop
24. “As with all commandments, gratitude is a description of a successful mode of living. The thankful heart opens our eyes to a multitude of blessings that continually surround us.” – James E. Faust
25. “The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see.” – Mary Davis
26. “None is more impoverished than the one who has no gratitude. Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy.” — Fred De Witt Van Amburgh
27. “The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated.” – William James
28. “I’ve had a remarkable life. I seem to be in such good places at the right time. You know, if you were to ask me to sum my life up in one word, gratitude.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
29. “There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.” — Ralph H. Blum
30. “Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy.” – Jacques Maritain
31. “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” — Albert Einstein
32. “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Arthur Ward
33. “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” – Epictetus
34. “Being thankful is not always experienced as a natural state of existence, we must work at it, akin to a type of strength training for the heart.” – Larissa Gomez
35. “Today I choose to live with gratitude for the love that fills my heart, the peace that rests within my spirit, and the voice of hope that says all things are possible.” – Anonymous
36. “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder
37. “If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.” — Rabbi Harold Kushner
38. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
39. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
40. “I looked around and thought about my life. I felt grateful. I noticed every detail. That is the key to time travel. You can only move if you are actually in the moment. You have to be where you are to get where you need to go.” – Amy Poehler
41. “Opening your eyes to more of the world around you can deeply enhance your gratitude practice.” – Derrick Carpenter
42. “Be grateful for what you already have while you pursue your goals. If you aren’t grateful for what you already have, what makes you think you would be happy with more.” – Roy T. Bennett
43. “What separates privilege from entitlement is gratitude.” – Brene Brown
44. “Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.” – Brian Tracy
45. “Train yourself never to put off the word or action for the expression of gratitude.” – Albert Schweitzer
46. “Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.” – Eileen Caddy
47. “When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.” – Anthony Robbins
48. “When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.” ― G.K. Chesterton
49. “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” — Robert Brault
50. “Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.” — Alphonse Karr
What are you grateful for today? Share your favorite gratitude quotes in the comments below, and learn how to be grateful in this illuminating commentary.