This attractive Swede is the Polestar 1, a highly-capable hybrid sports car from Volvo. Just don’t call it a Volvo.
Polestar is the Volvo Car Group’s new performance brand, and the Polestar 1 is just the first of a lineup of fun and exciting cars wearing the Polestar badge, all likely electrified one way or the other. Here’s what you need to know…
- The Polestar 1 is Polestar’s halo car (creme de la creme), a two-door, 2+2 seat sports coupe that, like the regular Porsche 911, is more of a premium touring car than a pure-bred sports car.
- Although built on Volvo’s Scalable Platform Architecture (SPA) platform, it uses components mostly created from the ground up by Polestar’s engineers and benefits from a dual electric rear axle that allows for precise control over torque application at each wheel.
- Power is provided by a plug-in hybrid, gasoline-electric powertrain that produces 600 horsepower and 738 pound-feet of torque, with 218 HP coming from an electric motor that drives the rear wheels and the remaining 382 HP from Volvo’s Drive-E 2.0-liter four-banger, which is tasked with the front wheels.
- It car travel purely on electricity for up to 93 miles (150 km), the longest electric driving range of any plug-in hybrid as of the time of this writing.
- The Polestar 1 goes on sale sometime in 2019 and will be followed by two other models, the Polestar 2 and Polestar 3. The Polestar 2 will be the Volvo Car Group’s first fully-electric vehicle, one targeted at the Tesla Model 3.
- Don’t expect to the see this Swede at a dealership — all models will be offered exclusively online a two- to three-year subscription basis as part of an all-inclusive package that includes pick-up and delivery services and rental options for other vehicles from the Volvo Car Group. It other words, you can’t really own one new.
Polestar’s first car is not only attractive, but it also seems like a hybrid car you’ll have fun driving. And as weird as it is, their subscription model will likely appeal to many people.
What do you think about the Polestar 1? Is it a hot Swede you wouldn’t mind taking home?